Tuesday 28 February 2023

Introducing Spring Botanicals Crocus

Morning all and welcome to the first of my introductory posts for the Spring release at Uniko. Previously Bev has launched Snowdrops, Tulips and Daffodils as part of the Spring Botanicals series and this year Crocus has been added to the stable! When I got my hands on the new set I knew exactly what I was going to do with it. 


We had a few days of warm weather last weekend and it brought out the flowers from crocus bulbs I planted in the grass to naturalize and was inspired to replicate the look of the purple against the green of the grass.
I've previously done water colour versions of the tulip and snowdrop sets so why not a crocus one!
After stamping the image with Altenew's Limestone ink on watercolour paper, I used some rubber masking fluid to mask out the image then taped it firmly onto a board with masking tape when dry. Lots of water and paint was then flooded onto the panel, Cadmium Yellow and Prussian Blue being the main colours and let the magic begin. I tried to keep the darker colour on the right hand side of the image, lighter to the top and left, but I wasn't top hung up as watercolour often has a mind of its own! Before the paint was dry, I added some crumpled up clingfilm and left it to dry, then removed the film to create an interesting background. I just love the freedom this technique gives you compared to using say a stenciled background, the clingfilm gives you all the random texture without all the stress, it's different every time you do it too.

Don't rush to remove the masking fluid as any wet paint will smudge onto your clean image, so check first! Once the masking was removed, I washed a mix of Prussian Blue and Purple Lake onto the petals and a mix of Cadmium Yellow and Prussian Blue for the leaves and stem. The papery bit at the bottom of the stem I coloured using some very dilute Raw Sienna, the stigma is Cadmium Yellow and a touch of Vermillion and left to dry.
After removing the masking tape, I attached the finished panel to a 5 x 7 base card and stamped the sentiment from the set in black.
So what do you think? Why not check the rest of the team to see what ideas they've come up with?

Bev

Julie - that's me



See you tomorrow for another introducing post. 

Joining in over at:-

Stencilled background or freestyle?
I just love the freedom this cling film and watercolour technique gives you compared to using a stenciled background, it gives you all the random texture without all the stress, it's different every time you do it too.

8 comments:

  1. So artistic, love the watercolored background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so lovely Julie, the clingfilm technique is really beautiful and perfect with the glorious crocus. A really different freestyle background for us to drool over at AYLI!! We used to have lots of crocuses but the ruddy rabbits eat them off!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a gorgeous image when water coloured so beautifully. Love this Jules. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just wonderful! I've never tried this technique, but I pinned this card so I can come back to it and give it a try. Gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for explaining the technique used for this FABULOUS card. So artistic. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, Julie, this card is stunning. I fall in love with it as soon as I saw it in the DT gallery. What a lovely idea to use the cling film technique to make the background, such a terrific result. Absolutely gorgeous !

    ReplyDelete
  7. A gorgeous piece of artwork which you could frame and love the colours of your background. Thank you for joining in at As You Like It. Lynne DT

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment. I really do enjoy reading what you have to say.

From 25th May 2018, in line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name and comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose. If you leave me a comment on my blog you do so in the knowledge that it will be visible to all who visit my blog. It will also be visible for anyone to collect.

I personally do not collect any information stored on my blog.

If you have left a comment and don't want it to be seen, then please delete it.
Thanks
Jules :0)