Good afternoon peeps.
This week at STAMPlorations we are belatedly celebrating the 6th birthday of the wonderfully talented Shery setting up her company with a blog hop and linky party!
We are a little bit late because of real life getting in the way of crafting.
Never mind, we are here now. Here are two cards I made using the new Zen Doodled Birthday Cake coverplate die.
One for a female and one that is gender neutral but would work well for a guy.
I used the coverplate die in two different ways but the starting point was the same.
To begin I embossed a panel of white card with the coverplate die. Just use the embossing sandwich for your machine, but don't forget to use a silicon mat!
For the card above I then used my Copics to colour the embossed image, you don't need to be too careful as the next stage will cover any raggedy edges.
To create the finished effect, die cut a couple of the plate dies from white card, glue them together and then place the finished die cuts over the colouring. Its one way of getting the embossed look with Copic colouring, and you don't have to be too neat either!
After trimming away the edges of the coloured base, I placed it on a 5x7 white base card to plan where to put the sentiment. I used happy happy Birthday from Party Time. Once stamped I glued the panel in place.
The second card starts with the same embossed background but this time I used the waste from the die cut to add the colour. The embossing creates a subtle background and shows where to place the coloured die cut leftovers.
This time when I used the coverplate die, I added some Gladwrap to the top of the coverplate. It's slightly tacky so keeps all the little bits in the die until its removed from the machine.
Before removing the wrap from the plate die, I added another piece of the Gladwrap to the reverse, again to keep the bits together, then carefully remove the top wrap layer and then the coverplate, push any loose pieces back into the 2nd layer of wrap. I could now add colour with my Copics. Again, you don't need to be too accurate with the colouring as the outline will not be used.
Once coloured you can reuse the original panel of Gladwrap by adding to the front of the coloured panel, pressing firmly from the back before removing the outline and 2nd piece of wrap.
Using a fine glue pen, add glue to the areas that constitute the cake and candle, then carefully overlay the wrap and adhered pieces onto the glued area. Press firmly, and then leave until dry before removing the wrap. Any odd bits still left on the wrap can be glued down individually.
I agree it is a bit fiddly but well it's worth the effort!
Instead of a standard side fold card, I made an easel one.
On the inside of the card base I made a stop for the coloured panel to rest against, using some of the same blue card and some white card coloured to match the cake with a Copic marker. The strip was popped up with foam after I added the die cut birthday and then stamped Happy from Balloons and Banners. I was going to use the Happy Birthday die but betwixt storage and cutting machine it went AWOL and remains so! Absolutely no idea where its gone, but my craft table is looking a little tidier!
So on to the fun bit -
- ONE (1) winner of $40 worth of products in her wishlist
- THREE (3) winners of a $10 gift certificate - randomly drawn from comments left on the birthday hop posts and designers’ blog posts
- THREE (3) winners of a $15 gift code - randomly drawn from entries in the birthday linky party
- ONE (1) winner of a $50 gift code - randomly drawn from entries in the birthday linky party
- A few surprise winners of products and/or gift certificates
- Linky open from October 21 to November 5
- Link up any birthday- or celebration-themed project
- Limit to 3 entries per player
- Linky found on the Day 1 post:
- Players must link to the blog post and display graphic in their blog post to qualify for the prize; players linking from their Instagram/Pinterest/Flickr/FB/SplitcoastStampers accounts: must tag @stamplorations and use hashtag #stamplorations6thbirthday
- Linky open from October 14 to November 5
- Link up STAMP wishlist for 1 entry
- For extra entry: mention the linky party, link to it, and display the graphic in a blog post
- Linky found here
So what are you waiting for?
I'm joining in over at:-
Masculine or Halloween/Autumn