Monday 19 March 2018

Garden

Afternoon folks.
I hope you are all safe and well after the second bite of the Beast from the East!
We didn't have that much snow but the wind was cutting. This morning the sun was out and it made things a little better but we are still waiting for spring to arrive, as are this month's lambs who have suffered these last few days. Many have succumbed to the cold, we managed to rescue two at the weekend but lost two more, another two were found curled up in the field this morning never to awake. It's hard when you look after stock and not a lot you can do when the weather hits. 

I do hope spring is not far off as the garden looks so bare, there are a few early daffs in pots by the back door but the rest are keeping their heads down. 
Over at CAS Watercolour Challenge their theme is garden and as it was so cold this weekend I stayed indoors and had a bit of a paint and this is the result.


I've had this stamp for awhile but not used it, so the theme gave me the push to ink it up!
I decided to stamp it onto a die cut panel of white card with Memento Tuxedo Black, then heat embossed it with a clear dull EP so that I could add my watercolour within the detailed lines a little more easily. As it is such a detailed stamp, I used my Zig watercolor brushes rather than paint or DI.

I love iris, but I don't have a sunny enough garden for them, I may just have to dig another bed in a sunny spot just so that I can add some. I do grow alliums, I grow them in pots and add them where I want them, they have the flowers after the foliage so it can look a little unsightly if there is no foliage to hide the leaves as they die back. The flowers on the other hand are stunning and I must have at least 5 or 6 different varieties, from the very large specimen varieties to the little bobble headed ones. They look great in the wild flower meadow I'm trying to make from what was a field. 
A simple greeting from Marianne was stamped and embossed to match the flowers.

On the bright side of lamb rescue the OH took a picture of our dog Max doing his nursemaid act with one of the rescued lambs.


The wonders of a hot water bottle, honey and a warm range ended up with this lovely pic.


Red 43 and Max paraded around the kitchen before being reunited with her ma, the lamb taking great interest in my oven gloves and curtains. Luckily she didn't leave any nasty surprises! Getting her back to mum was a different matter and involved me getting mobbed by the rest of the ewes as we tempted her back into the field closer to the house with a bucket of feed. 
Max is an odd dog, he is very protective of his charges but has a sixth sense when the lambs are not going to make it and came to tell us of their demise. The other rescued lamb ended up with a waterproof jacket and was put back with it's mum and sibling in the small paddock at the back of the shed. It looked quite happy to have it on and Mum accepted it back without a problem.

Joining in over at:-


7 comments:

  1. Beautiful watercoloured garden Jules. Won't it be nice when we see flowers in our own gardens?? Soon hopefully. What a tough time to loose so many lambs. It's sad.

    Max looks very protective of Red 43. :) What a good nurse he makes. Thanks for sharing your card with us at CAS Watercolour! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful watercolour Jules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How interesting about your lambs, Julie! I'm sorry you've lost some to the weather! This little guy is adorable! I hope he makes it! Love, love, love your watercolor garden! I love irises too but don't have a sunny spot in my yard to grow them. Yours are beautiful as well as the other flowers that bloom with them! Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Watercolour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy you got to play in your indoor ink garden, Jules. So sorry to hear about your lamb losses. I know it is always difficult to lose any newborn lamb. How sweet that your dog is so protective over his charges:-) Tomorrow is the 1st day of Spring...hopefully your weather will soon turn dry and warm. Good luck and TFS your gorgeous watercolored garden and joining us at CAS Watercolour. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, what a beautiful card Julie, lovely colours and such a brilliant tip about heat embossing the outline...why didn't I think of that!! Sorry to read of the little ones that didn't make it, Mother Nature can be so cruel. I can see that Max takes his duties very seriously and it's lovely to see some pictures of the little fella. Surprise is having another duvet day, there is still too much snow underfoot which might aggravate her laminitis...better safe than sorry. Stay warm xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad to loose some of your lambs, but I'm glad you were able to save some others - love the photos of your pup nurturing them.

    I too love irises and I made a bed for them in my back lane where it's very dry and sunny - so beautiful when they are blooming, and I love their scent. Your card depicts them perfectly - lovely colouring of them - and they look great in with the aliums and foxgloves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A really beautiful cad. I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment. I really do enjoy reading what you have to say.

From 25th May 2018, in line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name and comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose. If you leave me a comment on my blog you do so in the knowledge that it will be visible to all who visit my blog. It will also be visible for anyone to collect.

I personally do not collect any information stored on my blog.

If you have left a comment and don't want it to be seen, then please delete it.
Thanks
Jules :0)